Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Suffering for the Gospel in White Middle-Class America-Pt 2

Most of my thoughts today come straight from 1 Peter. I think if it were a book today it might be named "How to Suffer Well-Always for the Sake of Doing Good". After reading this letter through, one could tell Peter has obviously experienced suffering. Peter also has an unwavering hope that all of his suffering was not in vain and ours won't be either...if done right. It is kind of funny writing on this subject because I haven't really suffered. I am so blessed to have a wife, a home, a great family, a job, food, clothing, and both sets of Grandparents still alive. Sure, I've experienced some difficult situations, but none as tough as the Christians Peter was writing to. I feel almost as if I am reviewing a movie that I haven't seen or a book I haven't read. But it is this fact scares/excites/motivates me. I would not by any means wish suffering upon myself or anyone else. I would much rather give God glory in preaching or in leading worship than through suffering. But, if that's what it takes for me to realize that I have nothing without God and cannot place my hope anywhere else, so be it. Peter goes so far to state that "We were called" to suffer for doing good. Put another way, it is God's will that we suffer for doing good. It is God's will that we suffer?! Furthermore, we must give glory to God when we do! I am scared for what God is going to call me to suffer through. I am scared it's going to be difficult. I am scared it is going to test my faith. So my prayer now is, when suffering does come, either for doing good or because creation is subjected to futility, I will give God all the glory for letting me be an instrument of his mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages