Monday, September 12, 2011

Suffering For the Gospel in White Middle-Class America-Pt. 1

Typically, Americans don't suffer well...here in the bible belt anyway (kind of ironic). Suffering of any kind is looked on not as a building of character or integrity, but as something no one in their life should ever experience. For most Americans, even after a natural disaster or terrorist attack, the idea of suffering angers us and causes Toby Keith to write lyrics like, "We'll put a boot in your a@# it's the American way". Suffering is viewed as unjust (more than likely it is), unfair, wrong and blameworthy. However, I don't disagree with any of those ideas, it is the way in which people react to the idea of suffering. People turn to the legal system and sue each other, they resort to irrational behavior and language and find anyway possible to blame whatever they are experiencing on someone or something else. The very definition of suffering has behind it the idea that one is undergoing something difficult. And to me, this screams the exact opposite of our microwavable, "Easy Button" culture. "Anything difficult...no thanks. I'll lie to my spouse, cheat on my taxes, and gossip about my so-called friends. That's easier. I'll avoid any chance that I might actually undergo something difficult." Suffering well is hard. It's not easy. It has caused countless Christians to lose their faith in God. What do you think? Has the church bought into the culture's idea that we should avoid suffering at all costs?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages